It’s feels good to be busy. It’s like all the awesomeness of productivity without all of the work.
Except most of the time we actually want what productivity provides. The step forward toward a dream or a goal. The ability to say we have accomplished something. Getting out of the rut of busy can be difficult. Below are 5 steps that will move you from moving paper to making paper.
1. List things out! You can use the GTD method, the Oh – remember lists are never done. They will never be complete. So relax and go to sleep with a light heart knowing you got the most important things done.
2. Take breaks. While skipping lunch might seem the appropriate “I’m to busy and productive” thing to do. It hinders you in the end. It’s like trying to talk your car out of needing gas. It doesn’t work and you look slightly crazy.
3. Do a happy dance. Enjoy the progress you make. If you got that first cold call out of the way – do the running man!
4. Say NO! The awesome thing about NO is that it does not physically close doors. So while an opportunity might not be right for you now – you can revisit it later. And there’s no iron door blocking you.
5. Rinse and Repeat. I promise – if you keep doing these steps you’ll be amazed at what you accomplish and that you are not out of your mind.
What do you do to stay productive?